Toxic foods for dogs can be found almost everywhere, so it is important for pet owners to be aware of the potential dangers of feeding their pets the wrong foods. Many common household foods can be dangerous to dogs in even small amounts and should be avoided. By following the proper food safety guidelines and not leaving food out, pet owners can help ensure their pets stay safe from toxic foods. It is also important to ensure that any food scraps are disposed of properly to avoid any accidental ingestion. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and for more foods that are or are not ok check out this article done by the AKC.

Knowing which foods are toxic to dogs is important in order to ensure that your pet stays happy and healthy. In general, avoid giving your pup any table scraps and be sure to properly store and dispose of food scraps and leftovers. Additionally, some foods such as chocolate, xylitol, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, chives, yeast dough, milk, dairy products, and alcohol should be avoided at all costs. If you ever find your dog has ingested a toxic food, contact your vet immediately. Let’s explore why some of these foods are best to avoid.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate is one of the most common and potentially dangerous foods for dogs. The chemical compound theobromine, found in all chocolate (the darker the chocolate the more theobromine it contains), is toxic to dogs and can cause serious health complications. Symptoms of theobromine poisoning can include restlessness, increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death if left untreated. If you suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate, it is important to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.


Xylitol, a sweetener found in many sugar-free products, is also toxic to dogs and should be avoided. Xylitol can lead to a sudden drop in blood sugar levels and can cause liver failure if ingested. Therefore, it is important to remember never to give your dog chocolate or products with xylitol as either can have very serious consequences.


Avocado is another food that should be avoided as it contains a toxin called persin, which is toxic for dogs. Symptoms of persin poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and even death in severe cases. It is important to remember that all parts of the avocado, including the skin, leaves, and pit, can be dangerous for your dog and should be kept away from them. Therefore, if you have avocado trees in your backyard or keep a bowl of guacamole out at parties, it is important to keep your dog away from them. It is also important to note that some dogs can tolerate some avocado when its in small quantities, but that you’ll need to keep an eye on your dog and monitor for any symptoms of persin poisoning if you suspect they got into some.

3. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and Raisins are two other foods that should never be given to your dog no matter how much they beg. Grapes and raisins can cause sudden kidney failure in dogs, leading to death in severe cases. Symptoms of grape and raisin poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. It is important to take your dog to the vet immediately if you think they have ingested grapes or raisins as treatment can help lessen the severity of the poisoning.

4.Onions, Garlic and Chives

Onions, Garlic, and Chives are all part of the Allium family and should not be given to dogs as they can cause severe health problems including death. All parts of the onion, including the leaves and the bulb are toxic to dogs, as are garlic and chives. Eating these foods can cause anemia in your dog, leading to weakness, lethargy, and breathing difficulty. The best way to make sure your dog stays safe is to avoid giving them anything from the Allium family and to keep an eye on them if you suspect they may have ingested any onion, garlic, or chives. You can read more about these toxic foods on the VCA animal hospital site.

5. Macademia Nuts

Macadamia Nuts are a popular snack, but they are highly toxic to dogs, and can cause symptoms such as weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia. The exact cause of this toxicity is unknown, but it is believed to be due to the high levels of unsaturated fats in these nuts. It is important to make sure that your dog does not have access to any macadamia nuts or products that contain them, as even a small amount can be very dangerous. Additionally, if your dog does ingest macadamia nuts, it is important to take them to the vet immediately for treatment.


Alcohol can be highly toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems. Alcohol affects dogs differently than it does humans, as their livers and bodies cannot process it as efficiently. Ingestion of even small amounts of alcohol can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, disorientation, depression, low blood sugar, and even coma or death in some cases. It is important to keep your dog far away from any alcoholic beverages, as even a few sips can have serious consequences.


Caffeine can also be highly toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems. Caffeine affects dogs differently than it does humans, as their bodies are not able to process it as efficiently. Ingestion of even small amounts of caffeine can lead to symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, seizure, collapse, vomiting, and even death in some cases. It is important to keep your dog away from any caffeinated beverages and products, as even a small amount can cause severe health issues.

8. Raw yeast dough

Raw Yeast Dough is a common item in many households and can be highly toxic to dogs. Yeast is able to rapidly convert sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide and if a large amount is ingested, this process can occur too quickly for the dog’s body to regulate. This causes an increased pressure on the stomach and can lead to bloating, organ failure, and in severe cases, death. It is important to keep yeast dough, as well as other products containing yeast, completely away from your Shih Tzu pup.

9.Milk and Dairy Products

Milk and Dairy Products often contain a high amount of lactose, which can be difficult to digest for some dogs. Ingesting large amounts of lactose can lead to severe digestive issues such as diarrhea, bloating, and vomiting. In some cases it can even lead to an increased risk of pancreatitis. However a little dairy, such as plain greek yogurt, can be a great source of protein and probiotics for dogs (about a tablespoon).

To prevent problems with toxic foods, it is important to properly dispose of food scraps and to keep food stored where dogs can’t reach it. Feeding dogs table scraps can lead to them begging for more food, which can be dangerous and unhealthy in the long run. Additionally, always read the labels and ingredients for any food product before offering it to your dog. If a food contains any kind of yeast, artificial sweetener, or other substances that are not safe for dogs then it should be avoided.

It is best to avoid feeding your dog any of the foods listed above, and always store food properly and dispose of food scraps properly. Additionally, it is important to never leave food out, feed table scraps, or feed your dog anything that has not been specifically approved by a veterinarian. By keeping these precautions in mind, you can ensure the health and safety of your beloved pet. Let’s keep your divine pup happy and healthy so they can keep living their best life!

error: Content is protected !!